We’ve stripped the beta out of the CommunityCentral URL and we’re up and running. What a buzz!
It was almost a year to the day since I started. At times progress seemed painfully slow. Wrestling with software development isn’t always easy, and not exactly fun. It consumed a lot of time. But we’ve got there. The first version of the website has a couple of features operating. Mostly importantly people can reigster as members.
Already there has been a steady flow of people joining. Equally importantly some early requests to use the e-newsletter distribution service have come in from community groups around the country.
A plan is almost in place for adding the next set of features, starting with workspaces. These are due early in 2009.
Behind the scenes we’re developing our practices and various protocols. Help with practical changes on the site is coming from Dominic Ballesteros who is volunteering as the website’s webmaster and user support person. He’s just arrived in Wellington from the Phillipines looking for a job. As he’s multi-talented I can see this happening very soon.
Anyway, take a look and let me know what you know think.
Take my word for it, don’t leave funding applications to the last moment. It can mean missing out.
When I got round to entering the details of a Lottery Community application into the online form it was already 4.30pm on Friday afternoon . Wellington ICT is looking for funding to keep the e-rider IT service going next year.
My plan was to enter the details online, which I have up until midnight on Monday 3 November, then submit the signatures and other supporting documents later in the week.
I was foiled.
The Grants Online system (CDGO) is not compatible with the version of Internet Explorer I was working on. As I couldn’t use the system with Firefox, nor on a Mac or Linux computer, it meant that filling in a paper application was the only option.
Even if I could write neatly – quite a struggle, believe me – trying to get two signatures by 5pm Monday when paper applications are due, is impossible. I’m busy all day at a forum.
Looking back, I could have checked the CDGO system was actually user friendly at the start of the week. Knowing this earlier, I would changed the order I worked on things last week.
Ranting and raving about the incompatibility of CDGO with modern browsers is so, so tempting. But really, it was my assumptions about technology that
got in me in trouble meant I’ve missed the deadline this time. Every piece of software has its foibles so it’s really beholden on the user to work with this. Ideally, sooner rather than later.
I’ll know better for next time.